Tuesday, May 31, 2011

High and low tech living in the same house on the same day.

Today was a sunny and very warm day.  Some may even call it hot.  Like yesterday, the high was in the low to mid 90s and unlike what seems like the past two weeks, it did not rain, nor was it even a bit cloudy.

I was off today and had things to do around the house, so I did them.  I am so glad for several modern conveniences but I am also glad I can use some low tech approaches as well.

Kitchen appliances are modern luxuries I like.  Toaster, refrigerator, stove, two cup hot water boiler, etc.  I did my laundry using a relatively modern washing machine, but instead of using the dryer, I used the low tech method of drying them....on a clothesline outside in the wind and sunshine.  I used the dishwasher to wash and dry some of my dishes, but did others by hand and let them air-dry.  I plan on cooking chicken for Supper tonight, but I also have some mint in a pitcher of water setting out in the sun to make a pseudo mint tea to drink cold a little later today and this week.  The nice part would be saving electricity by drying most of my clothes that way for 6 months out of the year. 

In keeping cool I made use of both modern and old fashioned methods.  In the morning, when the temperature cooled into the mid 60s, I opened the doors and windows to let the cool air in.  When the temperature warmed up later in the morning and in the afternoon, I closed the windows and doors and let the air conditioner cool the house.  Another option could be to spend more time in the basement in the hot weather because it is about 15 degrees cooler there than the rest of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment